Monday, June 27, 2016

Digital Piracy

Naïveté they name is Bill.  DMCA or THE DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT OF 1998, supposedly protects copyrighted works of any type of media.   In my case, I received Google Alerts on some of my books being offered as part of a media service company.   These companies claim to offer unlimited media content for a monthly fee.   They also claim NOT to host pirated media.  This is blatantly false as I have not given permission to anyone "give away" my content.  I guess I should be flattered that my work is successful enough to be pirated but I'm not!

My recourse is to file a DMCA Request for the site to cease and desist offering my books on their site.  On one site it took two weeks of emailing but the link was finally shut down.   The time wasted defending your work, takes away from creating new work.   I am my legal department, I don't have a staff, if someone needs to file a DMCA, the someone is me.   I HATE wasting time.  

My blood, sweat and tears (hmm is that violating a copyright?) go into my work and I try hard to write stories that might help someone.  May I humbly suggest that if you see my work being given away or sold as part of some media service that you boycott that service and express your displeasure over their pirating.  Oh, and let me know too as I will then, sigh, write another DMCA Request. 


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: